The Radio Amateurs' Emergency Network Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Emergency Planning Team > Emergency Planning in RAYNET
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Space weather alerts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M0RYK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space weather alerts
    Posted: 05/March/2017 at 13:30
As we all know, Space Weather caused by coronal mass ejections is a significant risk on the National Risk Register because of its great potential to disrupt electrical and electronic systems. The Met Office issues space weather alerts, so Kent County RAYNET asked for an account to be able give operators warnings to safeguard their kit and prepare for deployment. The Met Office Space Weather manager, Catherine Burnett, was very enthusiastic and is now looking for a way to provide alerts to all RAYNET operators.   In the meantime, she has offered an interim solution that any RAYNET operator can use. Below are the instructions and an email template which can give access to the space weather web pages which provide forecast and current data, and enable sign up for alerts and warnings:

1. Sign up for a Met Office Wave account via
https://register.metoffice.gov.uk/WaveRegistrationClient/public/register.do?service=weatherobservations

2. Send an email to moswoc@metoffice.gov.uk in the following format
Subject line:
Space Weather Services access request
Message text:
This is a request for access to space weather services.
I am a RAYNET operator operating in the [South East of England].
My Wave account username is [xxxxxxxx].
I confirm that that the space weather information made available to me will be used for non-commercial use only, subject to the terms of the Non-Commercial Government Licence at
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/non-commercial-government-licence/non-commercial-government-licence.htm.
[signed]

MOSWOC will then add space weather to your Wave account and send you an email with some instructions on how to set up the warning and alert preferences.

Catherine says that this process will enable the Met Office to confirm it's a bona fide request and give individuals the flexibility to configure the system for themselves. As soon as the system is streamlined, she will tell us about the new process.

I hope this is useful.

MIke M0RYK / F4VRD
Co-ordinator, Kent County
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic