The Radio Amateurs' Emergency Network Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Membership, operating and support > All about being a member!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RAYNET Operational Cycling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G0TLG-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAYNET Operational Cycling
    Posted: 14/July/2017 at 10:45
Morning all

Being a fairly new MAMIL (Middle Aged Man in Lycra) I've done a couple of operational cycling events with Raynet - and as the group's advisor on all things health and safety I've been putting together some risk assessments and guidance on the subject. The group controller has asked me to do an overall assessment for Operational Cycling and Motorcycling (e.g. as lead or tail in a marathon), and I've written something based on what I've done so far.

I've now got a few questions for the assembled wisdom of the forum users -
  • How much Raynet operational cycling is going on nationally?
  • Has anyone already produced any guidance notes or risk assessments that I could compare against mine (I will of course reciprocate!)?
  • What standards of PPE and Hi-viz do you insist on or recommend for cyclists and motorcyclists on operational duties?
  • Do you insist on or recommend hands-free for radios?
If anyone would like to see what I've done so far, PM me with an email address and I'll ping you the current version - bearing in mind it's still only a draft for comment.

And finally on a personal note - I'd be interested to hear / see what hands free set ups people are using for cycling radios? I don't have one at the moment and I want to put something together for next time I ride my bike wearing a Raynet badge, so any and all suggestions - particularly from the "budget" end of the range - will be read with interest.

M6BFG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M6BFG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2017 at 10:04
We have a couple of Mamils in West Kent.

For a few road based half marathons we have taken the option for one to ride as tail marker.  This was mainly to get a position fix using APRS.  The kit is usually contained in a back pack with a wooden support for a dipole.  For such events it is easy to stop and pass a voice message.  Roads are normally closed and hi viz is worn.  I think we have arranged a point in the past for a battery changeover so the cyclist did not have to carry it all the way around.  If I find any photos of evidence I will let you have them
G0TLG-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G0TLG-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2017 at 14:03
Thanks BFG, and to those who've PM'd me: I have read your responses and will respond properly when I've had a bit more time to digest fully!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic