RAYNET Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical topics > Requests for technical assistance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

APRS ’compatable’ GPS Units

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Technical Team
Technical Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G0DUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: APRS ’compatable’ GPS Units
    Posted: 10/October/2005 at 17:23
Hi,
there have been enquiries on the forum before asking whether a particular GPS unit will work with APRS applications. I wonder whether we could tackle the problem the other way around... If you have a GPS unit which works with one of the 'data communicator' type radios, a more conventional PC based APRS application or a TinyTrak then could you post the details to this thread ?

I know that we should be looking for NMEA etc in the specifications but that kind of information isn't always on the outside of the box or suitable for 'window shoppers' who just want to know what they need to make APRS work for them :-)

To start the ball rolling The Garmin eTrex works with my Kenwood THD7 though there is no provision for external power for a long duration exercise.

Any more ?

Greg, G0DUB
Technical Team Leader
g0njd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g0njd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/October/2005 at 18:02
I've used a eTrex with the Kenwood handie, the only problem is those stupid connectors (I found a source at purple plugs)
I now have a Garmin Foretrex 101, really good, lasts about 15hrs on 2xAAA batteries and the best of all it has a 2.5mm stereo plug for the output so I can make a lead as long as I want (trying to find a right angle stereo 2.5mm is impossible if you want to keep the handie in its case)

Ronnie
personal web page http://www.mallettron.co.uk
M0TLR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M0TLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2005 at 14:49

I am using a Garmin Streetpilot 2650.  Have successfully configured NMEA both ways with a TM-D700, so position information is sent to the D700 for transmitting my position, with received APRS locations sent back to the Streetpilot and displayed on the built in map. 

I really wanted a satnav system, like the TomTom all in one devices, after much searching the Streetpilot 2650 was the only one I could find that appeared to have the serial NMEA output, supporting it bi-directionally was a bonus.

I also have a Garmin GPSMap 60CS which i use when out and about walking, in conjunction with the Kenwood TH-D7 for APRS.

g0njd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g0njd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2005 at 15:57
Originally posted by M0TLR M0TLR wrote:

I am using a Garmin Streetpilot 2650.  Have successfully configured NMEA both ways with a TM-D700, so position information is sent to the D700 for transmitting my position, with received APRS locations sent back to the Streetpilot and displayed on the built in map. 

I really wanted a satnav system, like the TomTom all in one devices, after much searching the Streetpilot 2650 was the only one I could find that appeared to have the serial NMEA output, supporting it bi-directionally was a bonus.

I also have a Garmin GPSMap 60CS which i use when out and about walking, in conjunction with the Kenwood TH-D7 for APRS.

I have a Mitac Mio 168 running TomTom and APRS  (http://www.kh-gps.de/aprsdece.htm)

It should be possible to get the onboard GPS to output the NMEA data by using a program called GPSGate into the radio

Ronnie
personal web page http://www.mallettron.co.uk
G1HUL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G1HUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2005 at 16:12

First, a caveat is needed in specific reference to the early (v1) Kenwood D7's.

There is a data compability issue with the precision of the location sent in the NMEA string, which causes the unit to totally ignore the location data from the GPS although the D7 indicates it's receiving valid data (confusing!).

I don't know what changed in the data string, but it's one to watch.

If you have a v2.0 or G2.0 (should be a sticker on the radio under the battery, no version = v1) there is no issue.

Jim, G1HUL

If you're not lost, you need to try harder - Mongol Rally competitor advice
I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable - Dwight D. Eisenhower
M0TLR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M0TLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2005 at 18:19

Originally posted by g0njd g0njd wrote:

I have a Mitac Mio 168 running TomTom and APRS  (http://www.kh-gps.de/aprsdece.htm)

It should be possible to get the onboard GPS to output the NMEA data by using a program called GPSGate into the radio

Ronnie

Yup, with a PocketPC version, additional software is always an option.   However, what I had been looking for, was a self contained unit, minimum of fuss, simple to use.  Wife needs to use it aswell, and a PocketPC software based  device was not suitable.

The TomTom devices I had looked at were the TomTom 300, 500 and 700. All i believe are Palm OS based, but I dont think installing additional software is an option.  Asides from this, I have TomTom on an Ipaq, and found the maps to be lacking on many occasions, I much prefer the maps supplied by Garmin, hence the decision to use the Streetpilot 2650. As a self contained unit, it doesnt require any further software to be installed to get the serial nmea output to the TM-D700 and accept the WP, back to be displayed on the map.

Wayne M5WJF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne M5WJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2005 at 23:50
On the subject of GPS and NMEA output, my maps are taken from AutoRoute 2004 for UI-View32, but it seems M$ Mapping is geared to WGS84 output rather than Ordnance Survey GB, anyone else noticed this?

Wayne M5WJF
West Cheshire RAYNET
MM0DUN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MM0DUN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2008 at 15:53

I am new to the APRS scene and have just completed setting up my Garmin Etrex with my Kenwood D700.

I note that the position data shown on the screen of the eTrex differs slightly from that shown on the "My Position" on the D700.  it is on the last batch of two digits of the set of three that is different.

Perhaps someone out there can give me a list of what settings I should have configured on each unit as it must be a setting on one of them that is misreading the data from the eTrex or the eTrex is sending the data to the D700 in slightly the wrong format.

Thanks.

MARTIN HIGGINS MM0DUN http://www.mm0dun.co.uk
MEMBER OF DUNDEE & ANGUS RAYNET
Medi-Rescue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medi-Rescue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2008 at 22:59

Martin,

It is quite likely that one is set to display degrees, minutes, decimal minutes.(last two digits will read up to 99) and the other is set to display degrees, minutes, seconds,(last two will only read up to 59)

i.e. 52 38 50 in first method would display as 52 38 30 in the second.

Alternatively they are set to different Datums, but here I would expect a greater discrepency.

Graham. G7WFK
Coventry RAYNET
G1HUL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G1HUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2008 at 23:06
Originally posted by Medi-Rescue Medi-Rescue wrote:

Alternatively they are set to different Datums, but here I would expect a greater discrepency.

The GPS should output the same as it's showing, so I don't think the datum is the issue here.

I'd go for the Decimal Minutes / Minutes & Seconds difference too.
Jim, G1HUL

If you're not lost, you need to try harder - Mongol Rally competitor advice
I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable - Dwight D. Eisenhower
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic