RAYNET Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Emergency Planning Team > Licensing and User Services
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NOVs Renewals and Remote-Shutdown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g7gmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NOVs Renewals and Remote-Shutdown
    Posted: 05/April/2016 at 01:14
Hello All,

At the moment I am dealing with the renewal of the NOV for our digipeater.  While having to use the "new application" form instead of the renewal form, the subject of "remote-shutdown" came into view.  I queried whether that was only for new applications or was retrospective for all when they were renewed.  The answer was that "remote-shutdown" is now required and is expected to be provided when the NOV is renewed.

My question to those of you out there that hold NOVs for digipeaters and repeaters is....
What methods are you using to carry-out the remote-shutdown facility ?
Obvious methods that come to mind are either by radio (presumably on a different band), or by using a GSM phone and controller of some sort, or by interweb if the site is "on-line".

Please can you give me any thoughts that you think may help me decide the way to go.  Thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes,

Ian.
Ian, G7GMN.
Controller, NE Hampshire RAYNET.

If in-doubt, print it out !
G8EIA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G8EIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2016 at 18:25
You might consider an Orvibo S20 at £22.29 or similar devices such as the Watts Clever Inplug at £14.95.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORVIBO-WiWo-S20-Remote-Control-Timing/dp/B01JURFV84/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1474823843&sr=1-1&keywords=orvibo

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Watts-Clever-Controlled-Monitoring-Features/dp/B00UQOPM8U/ref=pd_lpo_23_lp_t_4/252-4462169-4641719?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MFM0BK7WMBYHR92XEYWA

They are 13A mains sockets with a Wi-Fi link.  With an Android phone and the suitable free application, you can turn the mains socket on or off from anywhere in the world which has access from your mobile phone.

Richard,

Cleveland RAYNET Group.

http://clevelandRAYNET.awardspace.com
G1HUL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G1HUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2016 at 20:13
I doubt that would satisfy the requirements as it's mains powered and most (all?) repeaters have battery backup in the event of mains failures.

Good units for you home stuff though Smile

Jim, G1HUL
-----------------------
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
G8EIA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G8EIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2016 at 22:05
Very true Jim, but it wouldn't be too difficult for such a device to make a relay go click and so chop off the battery.  However, if the interweb ain't working...
Richard,

Cleveland RAYNET Group.

http://clevelandRAYNET.awardspace.com
2E0XMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2E0XMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/October/2016 at 04:23
I have used a 12V DTMF Relay board in the past for other items.
There's no reason a board can't be adapted for powering down/up and repeater.
I used a phone with automatic answer. 
You could use any of these in combination or on their own with the board.
* Phone with automatic answer
* Phone that has trigger text to produce an audible DTMF tone(Smart phone with something like Tasker)
* Raspberry Pi interface to push DTMF with website interface
* Radio with secret frequency and CTCSS tones set for extra measure
* Depending distance a 10Ghz audio link
Cheers Tommy

North East London
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic