RAYNET Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical topics > General technical discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DMR simplex in RAYNET

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DMR simplex in RAYNET
    Posted: 08/March/2016 at 16:24
Hello All.

Has there been any discussion regarding DMR settings for use by RAYNET on operations ?

The standard simplex settings are, Colour Code 1, Slot 1, Talkgroup 9, it would seem sensible to choose a different CC or Talkgroup for use by RAYNET, to provide a little more security for comms.

Jack, G8HIK.

G8HIK Bolton RAYNET
G0DUB View Drop Down
Training Team
Training Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G0DUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2016 at 21:36
Hi Jack,
            there hasn't been any discussion as far as I know so thanks for raising this.
One thought though is that some of the simpler radios only have a limited number of channels and with the number of combinations of talkgroups and repeaters in some areas, a RAYNET 'special' may take up some already scarce space.

We are likely to use DMR simplex on a particular event in West Cheshire but I was reckoning on using private calls rather than talkgroups when I wanted any extra 'security'.

Any other thoughts?

Greg, G0DUB

West Cheshire RAYNET Group Controller
Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/March/2016 at 00:38
Hello Greg.

With DMR radios becoming more affordable these days, I was thinking it may be an idea for a national recommendation of a couple of frequency, CC, TG combinations for local and on site comms.

Cheers, Jack.
G8HIK Bolton RAYNET
Cathy Clark View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathy Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/March/2016 at 10:23
Jack

Work has already started, comparing all digital modes of communication, and will be published when ready.
Cathy Clark G1GQJ

RAYNET-UK Chairman
Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/March/2016 at 13:07
Originally posted by Cathy Clark Cathy Clark wrote:

Jack

Work has already started, comparing all digital modes of communication, and will be published when ready.

Thank's Cathy.

As it's not really practical to re-progamme DMR radios on site, a couple of pre programmed frequencies would be useful for use when operators from different groups work together on an event, or for inter operability between groups. 

Jack.

G8HIK Bolton RAYNET
g7gmn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g7gmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2016 at 02:30
Hello Jack, Greg and Cathy,

In North-East Hampshire, those of us with UHF DMR radios have added CC-1  SL-1  TG-9  to our radios on the normal UHF frequencies that are noted as possible emerg use in the band-plan, ie:- 433.7000, 433.7250, 433.7500 and 433.7750 MHz.  Maybe we could also programme-up  SL-2  in a similar way ?....
I would have thought that this would be quite useful and a straightforward way to go.

Ian.  G7GMN.
Ian, G7GMN.
Controller, NE Hampshire RAYNET.

If in-doubt, print it out !
Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2016 at 13:17
Originally posted by g7gmn g7gmn wrote:

Hello Jack, Greg and Cathy,

.  Maybe we could also programme-up  SL-2  in a similar way ?....
I would have thought that this would be quite useful and a straightforward way to go.

Ian.  G7GMN.

Hello Ian.

Changing to Slot 2 won't make any difference, the two slot protocol only works when working via a repeater, the repeater does the slot timing and controls the radio.

I tried programming  a channel on my CS700 with slot 2 and my Motorola DP 3400 with slot 1, and they would still talk to each other.

I think that there is a Kenwood DMR radio that can do 2 slot simplex, (Direct Mode, as they call it), but I don't think they are compatible with other makes of radios.

Jack.

G8HIK Bolton RAYNET
g7gmn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g7gmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2016 at 02:52
Hello Jack,

Yes, you are right...  Down to timing/sync reasons.
Apparently Hytera radios (depending on the firmware) will let you use both slots independently.  I believe they call it "pseudo trunking". I will look into that.

Ian.
Ian, G7GMN.
Controller, NE Hampshire RAYNET.

If in-doubt, print it out !
Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/May/2017 at 18:38
As it's been over a year now since my first post on the subject, I was wondering if there has been any progress on defining a standard for RAYNET DMR use.

Also, here in the Manchester and Runcorn areas, we are experiencing a bit of a Packet Radio revival, we are operating on 144.950, so if anyone wants to give it a try, you will be most welcome to connect to any of the personal mailboxes in operation. The Node RUNC, in Runcorn, is linked into the worldwide Packet network.

Listen out for the beacons to see who is on air.

Jack.

G8HIK Bolton RAYNET
G0DUB View Drop Down
Training Team
Training Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G0DUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/May/2017 at 22:05
Hi Jack,
in West Cheshire we have had no problems using the regular defined DMR simplex channels with the CC1/SL1/TG9 approach, even the calling channel is quiet around here...

Thanks for the reminder though - time for me to be unpopular again :-)

I tried listening on 144.950 a few days ago and couldn't hear a thing - how long has the Runcorn node been up and where is it located?

Greg
Greg, G0DUB

West Cheshire RAYNET Group Controller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic