The Radio Amateurs' Emergency Network Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical topics > General technical discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Callsign translations on APRS FI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G0TLG-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Callsign translations on APRS FI
    Posted: 26/June/2018 at 09:27
Hi all

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but...

We are looking to provide a public APRS FI page for an event we are covering later in the year - it will show the route area, with an overlay produced by KML showing the route and mile markers. APRS FI itself will show the locations of tail and lead vehicles - plus of course anyone else passing through the area who is APRS beaconing.

The target audience is non-RAYNET user service personnel and event officials  and supporters of runners. At the time of writing, what we've done so far can be seen at www.nfhalf.duell.org.uk .

My question is - is there any way to make it so that non Raynet people viewing the page DON'T see amateur call signs attached to moving objects, but translations instead (like UI-VIEW does it). So for example my bike will be beaconing "G0TLG-10" but I want viewers of the linked-to APRS FI page to see "Half Marathon Tail".

I suspect it isn't possible, because I know that other groups who are much more experienced in this process don't do it, but any ideas will be gratefully received!

Cheers, Paul
G0TLG-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G0TLG-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/June/2018 at 09:34
To clarify - I don't have any problem with people seeing the amateur call signs, but I want to show something meaningful as a tag as well. If we can do it by showing call sign AND translation that's fine!
M0XZL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M0XZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/June/2018 at 06:34
Hi Paul

As long as it's only for a short period (i.e. the day of the event) we sometimes use a tactical callsign in place of the real callsign, with the real callsign in the comment text so that it is identified.

This means having to obtain APRS-IS passcodes for the tactical callsigns, but that is not difficult.

Although we don't usually need to, there is some ability to specify callsign filters in the aprs.fi URL. If you use that to include only the callsigns relating to the event, the users will be less distracted by non-event objects. All that stuff adds up to a long URL though so I have taken to using redirects from our website.
John, M0XZL
G0TLG-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G0TLG-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2018 at 11:08
Thanks John, that's a couple of good points

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic