The Radio Amateurs' Emergency Network Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > National Training > Ask the National Training Team
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adopting user service procedures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M0RYK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adopting user service procedures
    Posted: 22/January/2016 at 12:05
In Kent, encouraged by our primary user service (the joint emergency services/ local authority Resilience Team) we have adopted relevant prowords, procedures etc in line with JESIP, the Home Office sponsored joint emergency services interoperability programme. We are interested to know if the national training team is adopting a similar approach in reviewing the RAYNET manual.
Best wishes
MIke M0RYK / F4VRD
Co-ordinator, Kent County
G0DUB View Drop Down
Training Team
Training Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G0DUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/January/2016 at 18:25
Mike,
can you be a little clearer in what it is you were encouraged to do in Kent? Was it JESIP Awareness ( the Principles for Joint Working, Shared Situational Awareness and the Joint Decision Model ) or 'Airwavespeak'
(The latter being fairly Police specific )?

Greg, G0DUB

West Cheshire RAYNET Group Controller
M0RYK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M0RYK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/January/2016 at 19:46
Greg
Both, actually. Kent Voluntary Sector Emergency Group organisations were invited to principles familiarity sessions, and we -RAYNET- were encouraged to follow Airwavespeak. It was hardly an imposition. I don't think it's police specific - it's more streamlined and generic than the procedure and prowords I learned at the Met some eons ago, and it is mandated for cross service talk groups.
MIke M0RYK / F4VRD
G1HUL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G1HUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/January/2016 at 21:02
Having not come across "Airwavespeak" before, I've just Googled it!

The list of prowords on page 6 are almost identical to those already in our voice procedure and in common use by many Groups.

The only thing I can see that is Police specific is Code Zero/Backup and some reporting, the rest is a very good generic guide on how to operate and again looks rather familiar to our own system.
Jim, G1HUL
-----------------------
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
G0DUB View Drop Down
Training Team
Training Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G0DUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/January/2016 at 22:17
'Airwavespeak' came along in 2007 and we did take it in mind when revising the procedures ( the Manual coming under the purview of the Emergency Planning Team ). As I recall it was introduced because the introduction of Airwave had lead to a reduction in ( common ) standards and interoperability within the Police service was being compromised. The fire service didn't join Airwave until ~2010 so it became the de facto standard.
In that procedure regarding talking to 'other agencies' it is stated;
"1. Even though other agencies may be using different procedures, keep strictly to Police
National Standards in your own messages. Do not modify them to try to fit in with the
other speaker(s). This will make it easier for them to understand you."
However the JESIP online training does highlight how differently the three main services use Airwave and makes clear that messages should be clear and unambiguous with no acronyms etc. Roles are also used instead of callsigns in some cases ( tactical callsigns anyone? ).

There are other aspects of 'standardisation' afoot which don't directly come under the JESIP banner but are probably inspired by the need to share information in a common recognised format such as Briefings/Debriefings in the IIMARCH format , the standard templates for some documents on Resilience Direct etc. but it will take some time for those to get bedded in and I will probably be trying the briefing format in my own group through this year

To get back to Mike's question - we do try and keep abreast of all the relevant standards. How best to translate this into something like the manual or into training modules becomes a different challenge though. The JESIP online familiarisation training for 'wider responders' is something a Group could do for itself in an evening meeting and is already produced. I'm not too sure about customising it for RAYNET purposes though in case it dilutes the message. It feels better to signpost people to the current training modules from the source.

Greg, G0DUB

West Cheshire RAYNET Group Controller
M0RYK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M0RYK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/January/2016 at 22:30
Quite so. It wouldn't take much to establish a formal alignment. Locally, we have an equivalent to Code Zero to handle occasional serious intimidation, usually involving enraged motorists who take event road closures very badly. (I jest not.)
The point of my original question was simply to see if we had a national direction of travel with some strategic purpose. My underlying concern is that we need a national, certificated training scheme that will strengthen our credibility with user services and other key stakeholders. JESIP principles would be a helpful building block.
MIke M0RYK / F4VRD
M0RYK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M0RYK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/January/2016 at 23:22
To be clear, my remark of "Quite so ..." referred to Jim's post of 21:02.   I am grateful for Greg's observations, and I'm offering no criticisms of current schemes. The issue is, as I said, the need to develop a certificated scheme which is meaningful to our statutory user services and other stakeholders.
What we see from here - and perhaps it is a symptom of an age besotted with regulatory mechanisms - is an increasing need to demonstrate qualifications on an individual as well organisational level. For example, the work that the big humanitarian organisations, 4x4 Response, Search and Rescue teams, and others put into delivering and demonstrating their standards has a value far beyond the face value of certificates. It builds knowledge and confidence within the statutory user services which converts into automatic inclusion in plans, consultations and callouts. It brings automatic involvement, rather than a reliance on individual relationships and awareness that wax and wane with staff movements.
That is what I meant by strategic purpose.
MIke M0RYK / F4VRD
2e0wwz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2e0wwz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2017 at 13:34
Hi Mike - further your concern for a direction in training, that is part of the strategy of the National Training Team. 

Training has been the 'Cinderella' activity within RAYNET for too long, forcing, in the absence of national standards, local independent efforts. 

Need for a national approach was recognised from the outset by the current team, beginning locally as a demonstration to members that we are serious. Gaining enough momentum that we can progress a mid-term goal of User Service acceptance of our training method / range / standard and leading to a long-term goal of external accreditation for RAYNET Training.

Apart from developing and starting to release training modules we also recognise the crucial role of the local trainer and their capability to provide high quality sessions, hence the development of Train the Trainer courses which are running in parallel to training module planning, development and release.

I enclose a slide from the 1st Train the Trainer course, held at Lansdown, Bristol late Nov 2016

2e0wwz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2e0wwz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2017 at 13:37
2e0wwz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2e0wwz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2017 at 13:44
OK, with apologies Mike, the slide image seems to have got lost between the preview post window and the forum page - I re-tried with the slide alone hence blank entry above - obviously doing something in a way the Forum software doesn't like !!

To paraphrase the 3 main points on the slide:
  ■ Ambitions:
       > Short term
               Support Group training and individual learning - whether members are IT literate or not
       > Medium term
               Gain User Service acceptance for RAYNET training
       > Long term
               Achieve recognised, external accreditation for the RAYNET Training programme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic